While using traditional pesticide to combat bed bugs is never a good idea due to its low success rate and tendency to exacerbate the bed bug problems, there are certain groups such as children, pregnant women, elderly persons, and household pets that are highly susceptible to the toxins in pesticides.
Infants and children may be especially sensitive to health risks posed by pesticides for several reasons. Children’s internal organs are still developing and maturing and certain behaviors–such as playing on floors or putting objects in their mouths–increase a child’s exposure to pesticides.
Pesticides may harm a developing child by blocking the absorption of important food nutrients necessary for normal healthy growth. Another way pesticides may cause harm is if a child’s excretory system is not fully developed, the body may not fully remove pesticides. Also, there are “critical periods” in human development when exposure to a toxin can permanently alter the way an individual’s biological system operates.
Being in contact with large amounts of pesticides may be harmful during pregnancy. It may lead to miscarriage, preterm birth, low birthweight, birth defects and learning problems. During pregnancy, the baby’s brain, nervous system, and organs are developing rapidly and can be more sensitive to the toxic effects of pesticides. Because of this, it is important to minimize exposure to pesticides during pregnancy.
Elderly people can be the most at risk to indoor pesticide use. According to AARP Services and the EPA Aging Initiative, older people are at a higher risk of suffering major health issues from pesticides. Pesticides have been tied to Parkinson’s disease and can cause illness and even premature death. Anyone with a weakened heart of lungs can be susceptible to arrhythmia and possibly heart attacks from exposure these toxic chemicals.
Animals are very vulnerable to pesticides, especially ones that are applied indoors. Animals will unknowingly walk through pesticide-treated areas, absorbing the chemicals with their mouth, nose, eyes, and through their skin. Dogs and cats use their noses to explore and understand the world around them. The mucous membrane in their nose can easily pick up pesticide residue, allowing the pesticides to enter the body. Cats are especially vulnerable to toxic chemicals; house cats lack certain enzymes in their liver that are used in most carnivores to decontaminate chemicals.
At SBBS we only believe in selling a service that works. This is the reason we do not offer pesticide treatments for bed bugs. Although pesticides have a success rate, it is a very low one. Bed bugs are becoming extremely immune to pesticides, leading many companies to flood bedrooms with toxic pesticides. What happens though, when even a flood of toxic pesticides doesn’t kill all of the bed bugs?
When using pesticides for bed bug extermination you are taking a huge risk of exacerbating your bed bug situation. Although a pesticide will kill any bed bug it come in contact with, it can spread out the rest of the infestation. When a bed bug senses the deadly toxins from the pesticides, it will run away and find a new hiding space. Where does it go to hide? Well this is the tricky part. Once the bed bug runs from the pesticides, almost any part of your room/house can become infested. Consequently, this makes detection and extermination harder and your bed bug problem significantly worse. Eventually, with enough failed pesticide treatments, the bed bugs can end up finding refuge in your walls and can become almost impossible to eliminate.